Source: Jimboomba Times

WHAT was once a modest Logan Village Police Beat with two officers has been transformed into an upgraded police station with nine officers, including a Senior Sergeant officer-in-charge.

Police Minister Mark Ryan and recently appointed Queensland Police Service Commissioner Katarina Carroll officially unveiled the Logan Village Yarrabilba Police Station on Tuesday, August 27.

Commissioner Carroll said the existing nine police officers at the station would be boosted to 14 in a matter of years to service suburbs including Crestmead, North Tamborine, Beenleigh Canungra, Logan Village and Yarrabilba.

“Our Logan officers need the resources and support best available to them and in a growing area such as this, newly assigned Logan Village and Yarrabilba general duties officers need to be best placed to service this growing community,” she said.

Jimboomba Police Senior Sergeant Peter Waugh said the new station would ease pressure on officers in South Logan.

“It will bring more police into the area and allow officers to become more engaged with the community and build better partnerships,” he said.

“This will provide a better police response for Yarrabilba and Logan Village, but it will also give me as the officer-in-charge of the Jimboomba District to focus on the needs of the growing areas of Flagstone, Greenbank, New Beith and Jimboomba.”

Nathan Booth has been appointed as the Senior Sergeant officer-in-charge of the Logan Village Yarrabilba station.

Planning for the project began in late 2016 due to population growth pressures in Yarrabilba and the Logan South region.

Logan MP Linus Power said the 2017 election commitment would make local families safer.

“Having nine officers based at a fully operational police station at Logan Village Yarrabilba will reduce response times and help protect the community,” he said.

“I know how fast this area is growing so it was clear we needed these extra resources.”

Police Minister Mark Ryan said he was happy to see the transformation of the Logan Village Police Beat unfold in just four months.

The station has been operational since August 17.